[haiku-development] Re: Intel Enhanced Speedstep Driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:45:22 +0100 CET

Clemens zeidler <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I notice that when I step down the CPU frequency the HAIKU time runs
> slower. The same problem also exist in BeOS and I already ran into it
> when
> I wrote a
> speedstep driver for BeOS. Michael Lotz wrote a nice article about
> this
> timing problem:
> http://beos.mlotz.ch/documents/cpu_fix.html
> Michael is it still the same thing in HAIKU?

Yes, although one can problably slightly improve the support of the OS
for frequency changes. Since the exact frequencies should be known, one
could, for example, compute the change factor directly, instead of
measuring it again (which is pretty expensive).

> Could somebody look into the patch/ apply it?
> For testing the driver you have to enable acpi and add the driver and
> the
> preferences app to the image.

Great, thanks a lot! I will look into it ASAP.
One minor thing for the next patch: it would be simpler if this would
be an actual patch against the repository (with path names instead of
just the file names); this way the "Jamfile" changes need to be done
manually, as finding the correct place and name for the files. Also,
there are a few coding style violations, but nothing too bad :-)

Bye,
   Axel.