[haiku-development] Re: How far are we from HTML5 video?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 08:25:05 -0400

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Not even started, as far as I know. All the respective APIs in WebCore are
> unimplemented in the Haiku port (unless I missed some recent development),
> and the Haiku Media Kit itself does not yet support streaming as will
> probably be necessary to implement those APIs.

I would certainly like seeing the Media Kit capable of HTTP streaming,
like used by SHOUTcast servers. I'm sure the necessary streaming
formats required for HTML audio and video is more than that though.

My extremely rough plan for HTML5 audio and video support in our
WebKit port was to extract the core media engine in MediaPlayer out
into a library and then make use of it from WebKit. This way we would
have a very consistent experience of audio and video within Haiku
(much like on iOS.) I imagine this is still a sound plan, though like
many things it is easier said than done.

Like many people I have a strong interest in seeing this working, but
finding the time to work on it is the tricky part. I think it would be
a fun project though, and one where I personally would learn a lot. Of
course someone else may find the time to work on it before I do.

--
Regards,
Ryan