[haiku-development] Haiku's localization vocabulary guidelines

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Haiku dev <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 16:37:27 +0200

Hello, Haiku world,
As you may know I'm working as part of GSoC on internationalization in
Haiku. This means all the application in the system will soon be
modified to use your own language, or any other one. However, in order
to get good translations, we have to define a common vocabulary for
each language and keep the uniformity of the system. We need to define
a translation for every word in Haiku's vocabulary in each language.
This concern words like "kit" or "server", but most importantly,
things you will find in the applications, such as "revert",
"defaults", "file", "edit",..
Most of these are also frequently used in other systems so it should
not be too hard to find translations, however I could not find a
proper word for "revert" in French, my own native language.

I need your help to:
-Define the list of english word that are commonly used inside Haiku.
They will probably be grouped in some special way inside the
localisation system in order to avoid people to translate them again
and again when doing translation of applications.
-Choose a translation for each of these words in each language. Maybe
some work is already done in the user guide translations, I did not
look at that very closely.

Maybe sending a lot of emails to this list is not a good idea, what
solution could work better ?

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
Elève ingénieur ENSSAT EII1- www.enssat.fr