[haiku-development] Re: Haiku package management system implementation (was: Haiku package manager)

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 00:41:02 +0100

2010/2/6 David Flemström <david.flemstrom@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Packages make use of the Haiku file system metadata
> While this is fine all by itself, it makes it difficult for 3rd-parties who
> want to cross-compile applications to Haiku.

We try to embrace innovation, not hinder it. So avoiding using modern
features because some OS'es are lacking is not going to be well
recieved. If they are lacking they can either choose to emulate the
feature or implement it. We want software that take full advantage of
every part of Haiku OS where we can.

Furthermore, Linux is probably not the best platform to look for
inspiration for Haiku apps. Mac OS, Amiga, Atari ST and Iphone/Android
markets would be much better places to look. More focus on the end
user, not so much on developers.

The whole thing is very hard to comment on, but to me it feels like a
clunky app you'd find in Linux or such systems. A simple and elegant
solution, which don't assume things on behalf of the user is probably
more how I'd want it.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH