[haiku-development] Re: Google Summer of Code 2008 - extra tasks

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 20:33:12 +0200 CEST

"Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since we haven't chosen any tests until now, I think we are a bit
> > late
> >  for this this time. The student's application deadline was
> > extended one
> >  week, and we only have until April 18 to evaluate all
> > applications.
> >  Well, that's still 2 weeks to go, maybe we should come up with
> >  something fast :-)
> What's wrong with asking them to finish an easy task? They are mostly
> superficial GUI changes that can easily test the student's ability to
> get acquainted with code, and whether they can manage to confirm to
> our coding style.
>
> http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/EasyTasks

I don't think that #693 is that easy, actually. It's quite involved in
app_server code, at least (it would be an easy task for someone that
knows the server inside out, but probably not for someone not familiar
with the code).

Besides that, I'm currently leaning towards not using those tasks this
time. We haven't written anything about the possibility of such a test
anywhere, and even good students might not have the time right now to
work on that - it's like "oh, please complete that test until next week
or you'll be fired, thanks". If we want to do something like this,
please let's make it clear to the applicant that something like this is
a requirement, so that he can reserve some time for this early on (he
could even do so before actually submitting an application).

Also, there aren't enough easy tasks for all the students, either :-)

Bye,
   Axel.