[haiku-development] Google Code-In 2013

  • From: scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:15:19 -0700

Google has announced Google Code-In 2013 [0], starting on Nov 18th.  Haiku
has once again applied to be one of the 10 mentoring orgs for GCI.  I have
started out the GCI 2013 ideas page on the Haiku wiki [1].  We'll need to
remove many of the tasks on that list as it was copy/pasted from the 2012
list and many of those tasks have been completed or are no longer valid.
 With the move to PM I am sure there will be a lot of little tasks that can
be handled by GCI students if Haiku makes the cut this year*.  The ideas
page is the key to getting picked as Google checks those over to see the
types of tasks each potential org has lined up for students.
I will be attending the Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit next weekend
representing Haiku and will be sure to attend the session they hold each
year regarding GCI and if there is one for Melange again I'll attend that
one as well.
As in years past I'll also be looking to add a few more Haiku GCI mentors.
 If you are interested in helping out drop me an email off-list and explain
how you can help.  In past years we've had students complete 100-200 tasks.
 The hope is that some of these students will become GSoC students and
potential contributors to Haiku.
As was the case in GCI 2012 translations are NOT valid tasks, but all of
the other categories from GCI 2012 are still valid.  Code, UI,
Documentation, QA and Outreach could all use some new / updated tasks.

-scottmc

[0]
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2013/10/google-code-in-2013-and-google-summer.html<http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2013/10/google-code-in-2013-and-google-summer.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GoogleOpenSourceBlog+%28Google+Open+Source+Blog%29>
[1] http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/GoogleCodeInIdeas2013
* Participating orgs will be announced on November 1st, 2013.