[haiku-development] Re: GSoC proposal

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 09:28:40 +0200

On 2010-04-07 at 00:20:28 [+0200], Alex W <yourpalal2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello, my name is Alex Wilson,

Welcome, Alex, and thanks for your interest in a Haiku GSoC project!

> *making the layout api FBC safe (5524)
> *integrate Layout Archiving (5525)
> *producing Doxygen documentation for the Layout API
> *continuing the "Laying it All out" series of articles
> (http://www.haiku-os.org/documents/dev/laying_it_all_out_part_1)
> *modifying Haiku's builtin applications
> *and squashing bugs along the way

As Adrien already wrote, the documentation tasks cannot be made core tasks of
the project -- though I think some documenting as part of the project is
definitely OK. The FBC safety shouldn't be much work (mainly adding some
virtual slots and data padding where possible and maybe precautionarily
overriding a few virtuals). The archiving is a bit of work, but I wouldn't
allot more than one or two weeks to complete it. This would leave the work on
Haiku applications as the main part of the project. This definitely needs to
be refined -- like including what apps that would be and a rough idea what
has to be done for each of them.

Another small task would be to derive BLayout from BLayoutItem to allow
nesting of layouts without needing to create BViews for merely organizational
purposes.

CU, Ingo