[haiku-development] Re: GSoC 2015 ideas list

  • From: Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:43:30 -0500

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> I do. Large parts of the BeOS/Haiku API suck, are horribly incomplete, or
> could use some dusting off e.g. wrt. newer C++ standards. Looking at the
> progress of our project in the past, it should be clear that we simply
> don't have the man power to do that. Therefore evaluating alternatives is a
> very sensible thing to do.

Just because we don't have the manpower to do it doesn't mean we should
settle for a less technically suitable option. And even if we don't have
the manpower to do it now, we're (slowly) gaining contributors at the rate
of about ~1-2 per year at this point. And now that I've finally mastered
the Be API, I'll be contributing a lot more to Haiku's trunk than I did
last year.

> And please do not confuse an evaluation of this option with any kind of
> decision on the topic. Even if the project is successful and using Qt
> results in a smooth user and developer experience, we can still decide to
> take another route. Other alternatives -- even other languages -- can be
> explored as well.

Sure, makes sense.

> There has been some discussion in the past (the idea is not new at all),
> but feel free to start a new one. I don't see why we would need a formal
> vote for a project idea, though. In fact our GSoC isn't so much about the
> particular project -- we have accepted projects with little to no immediate
> benefit to Haiku in the past -- it's about getting students interested in
> Haiku. A project the student is interested in and a mentor is motivated to
> supervise is just the means to this end.

OK, that makes sense to me.

-Augustin