[haiku-development] GLUT licence problem

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:10:34 +0200

Hi,

For some time, Haiku used the Glut library provided with Mesa. This is a
required part of the OS, as BeOS had it and we try to be binary
compatible.

However, newer versions of Mesa don't include Glut anymore. The library
development stopped, OpenGL nowadverties the GLX API to replace part of
Glut functionality. However, this is not an option for us.

So, we made a fork of the Glut library in Haiku sources:
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/commit/src/libs/glut?id=da4652077792eabf9e552f34cda4375671f6ab9e
(apparently losing history of the Mesa version we had in tree before...)

This works. However, there are two problems :
 * The Glut library is not maintained anymore. This means we have to
keep our own fork and develop it ourselves.
 * More importantly, we are not allowed to make any changes to Glut. The
licence allows distributing the lib, but not modifying it. This is not
compatible with the MIT licence that Haiku should be using.

The solution seems to be switching to FreeGLUT. This is a rewrite of
GLUT licenced under the MIT Licence, so it should be fine for us to use
it. However, it needs to be ported to Haiku. We also have to watch out
for possible changes in ABI.

This is a rather important licencing issue, as some changes were already
made to our GLUT version:
http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/log/src/libs/mesa/glut
This violates the GLUT licence. So we should find a solution as soon as
possible.

--
Adrien.