[haiku-development] Re: Fwd: [Website feedback] Be programming book link to the documents webpage

  • From: "Rene Gollent" <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 23:15:40 -0500

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:05 AM, Jorge Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a special reason why is the O'Reilly published book:
>> "Programming the Be Operating System"
>> is not linked on the documentation/development page?
>>
>> Here is the link:
>> http://oreilly.com/catalog/beosprog/book/

The one caution I have about that book is it's written against the
BeOS API circa R3/R4. As a consequence, especially in the areas of the
interface kit, a lot of things have changed meanwhile to make things
easier to do, so it quite likely will teach you much more cumbersome
ways to do things than necessary, and will also omit a lot of newer
features in general. Thus if it's going to be linked to I'd caution
that it's only to be used as a baseline for getting the general idea
of how things fit together, but definitely not as any kind of
final/definitive guide on how to develop apps on Haiku.

Regards,

Rene