[haiku-development] Finally deciding on a new source control system for Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:44:17 -0400

Some time ago a "committee" was created to evaluate the options for a
new source control system for Haiku. I suppose our existing system,
Subversion, was also considered but I think the general consensus is
that SVN no longer serves the Haiku project well as a source control
system.

As I recall the contenders were Git, Mercurial, and Bazaar. Could we
finally hear some results from this committee? As I recall at least
Oliver Tappe and Niels Reedijk were members of this committee.

I and others like me really think we should get a new distributed
source control system sooner rather than later. While I am a fan of
Git, all of the above distributed systems would provide easier
branching for releases, easier patch management for contributors,
easier development for non-contributors, and also much easier
development for our GSoC students.

The longer we stay with Subversion the more pain we will have in doing
another release and in managing the contributions from GSoC students.

If I don't hear something from this committee by May 9 I will initiate
a vote on this list to decide the new system, with as best a list I
can put together of the advantages and disadvantages of the above
systems. But obviously the advice and opinions of the committee would
be appreciated. We have discussed this enough ([1], [2], [3], [4]),
and I think it is time we make a decision and make it happen. It has
been almost a year since Oliver started the discussion on this issue.

One other thing to consider is that moving to one or the other system
now does not mean we are stuck with that choice forever. Most systems
can import and export to each other.

If you have an opinion on which SCM to choose but were not a member of
the above committee, please restrain yourself from responding here. We
already have enough discussion about this in the threads below. But
any further prodding or +1s about hearing from this committee are
welcome :)

1.
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Proposal-Moving-away-from-Subversion
2.