[haiku-development] Re: Donating codes: APE reader

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 19:55:05 +0200 CEST

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Which gets us to what the extractor needs to do. In Haiku the
> "Reader". The

BTW while we're at it (well, sort of), does anyone have a better
suggestion for the "media-plugin" naming convention? It doesn't make
any sense to have a "plugin" directory inside an "add-ons" directory.
In the sources, it's similar, we have a "media-add-ons", and a
"plugins" directory inside src/add-ons/media/.

Now that Haiku is closer than ever to its first (alpha) release, maybe
we can solve this one this time? (there were some discussions about
that earlier, too)

In my understanding, "*.media_addon"s are dormant nodes only, while our
decoder/encoder/reader/writer add-ons are about to handle (decode/
encode/convert) media streams/files/whatever.
Suggestions (more are welcome, too):
1. have "media_nodes" and "media" directories in add-ons - the drawback
is that your BeOS add-ons wouldn't be found anymore.
2. keep "media" for nodes, and introduce "media_file", "media_stream",
... under add-ons/ for these (while not every media has to be a file, I
would prefer media_file, as it somehow matches the BMediaFile class).
3. keep the current structure, but rename "plugins" to something like
"file", "stream", ... - again, I would prefer "file" here for the above
reason.

Anyone have better suggestions (besides "4. Do nothing" :-))?

Bye,
   Axel.