[haiku-development] Re: Differences in behavior R5 - Haiku

  • From: julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:41:40 +0200

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Assmus schrieb:
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 17:14:51 +0200
Von: julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx>
An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [haiku-development] Differences in behavior R5 - Haiku

Hi,

while helping out stargater with ArtPaint, I noticed at least two differences in behavior between R5 and Haiku.

<snip>

So my question is what to do here, stay compatible with R5 behavior? While i don't like what BMenuField does on R5, I see at least no need to prevent the programmatically resize durign a user resize. I disabled the check and did not notice any bad behavior so far.

Should i file bug reports about this? And when, which release should i target, alpha or R1?

To be honest, I have had quite a few troubles with BMenuField and their
unexpected behavior in BeOS. So if possible, I'd like to find a good balance
between sane behavior and being as much compatible with BeOS without loosing
the sane behavior. That ResizeToPreferred() does nothing unless the BMenuField
is attached is quite annoying on BeOS for example, and I would not like to
replicate it.

As i wrote, i don't like the BeOS behavior either. So how it is now is absolutely fine with me, was just curious. :)

As for the programmatical resize during resizing, the only problem I could
imagine is that resizing starts to behave weird when the user reaches a size
limit for the window in one direction, moves the mouse past the limit (window
size stays fixed) and then moves the mouse in the other direction again. The
correct (and current) behavior is that the relative offset of the mouse to the
resize corner of the window stays fixed. It may change when a limit is reached,
but should return to the previous offset when the resize drag enters the limits
again. If that works, please go ahead and commit your patch, no need to file a
but report. As for filing bugs under Alpha or R1, only use the Alpha target for
bugs that would seriously hinder Haiku as a development platform.

I'm not sure if i got that correctly, so from testing ArtPaint on R5 and Haiku i did not notice any difference. And the Tool window uses a size limit. One thing that's still different is that the window resizes in 'steps' of a button width or height on R5, but this cannot work on Haiku because it misses the implementation of SetWindowAlignment. At least that's what i figured be responsible for.

Regards,
Karsten