[haiku-development] Re: Crediting 3rd-party software in AboutSystem

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 19:27:13 +0100

On Mon, Jan 05, 2015 at 10:20:39AM -0800, scottmc wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Augustin Cavalier <waddlesplash@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On 1/5/2015 12:56 PM, Adrien Destugues wrote:
> >
> >> These fonts are included (as packages) in the default image, however
> >> they are (currently) not dependencies of the Haiku package. Should we
> >> add credits to Haiku's AboutSystem for all packages bundled in the
> >> default image, or only for dependencies of the Haiku package? or only
> >> for things that are included in the Haiku package itself (in that case
> >> we should remove Freetype and a few others from this list)?
> >>
> >> How do we credit things that are not in AboutSystem? Is the copyright
> >> metadata on packages enough?
> >>
> > This was already brought up before in my AboutSystem patch [1]. The
> > concensus was to leave all the things that were dependencies of the Haiku
> > package, and remove the ones that weren't dependencies (even if they were
> > installed by default), IIRC.
> >
> > -Augustin
> > [1]: https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/11015
> >

> https://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1222 (<==wow was that really 7 years ago?)
>
> The AboutSystem should just be listing a single copyright notice for each
> package that ends up installed on the final system, whichever one that is.
> So for anything that is now outsourced, those "should" get pulled in when
> their packages as installed correct?  If so then those should be able to be
> removed from being hardcoded into AboutSystem.cpp, if/when all the
> oursourceable packages are outsourced there should be little or no third
> party copyright notices left in that section correct?
>
> Perhaps try auditing a built Haiku checking the AboutSystem and look for
> any that show up twice, then fix those.

None of the package licenses are shown in AboutSystem currently. I don't
think we want that, anyway: the fact that a package is installed
doesn't mean it is part of the system. We already include the licenses
and copyright information for all packages as package metadata and the
files in system/data/licenses. This is enough to comply with the
licenses, I think.

However, for things that are outsourced but still dependencies of the Haiku
package, I think it makes sense to have credits in AboutSystem. This
include things like ffmpeg and freetype, for example, but doesn't
include WebKit, Wonderbrush, or the DejaVu fonts.

--
Adrien.