[haiku-development] Re: Berlios?

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:14:54 +0000

On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 12:19, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The svn server is still not accessible. I like the dedicated server idea
>> > more and more. Has there been any more discussion on the Haiku Inc.
>> > mailing
>> > list or whereever such a decision would be made? Are there open questions
>> > or arguments against such a move?
>> >

>> We can host the SVN repository on our hosting plan at OsDrawer.net,
>> interested?
>
> I was rather thinking of consolidating the Haiku related internet services
> on a single server fully administered by Haiku project contributors. This
> should offer more control, allow better integration (like Trac with SVN,
> OpenGrok), and additional features (fine-grained SVN access permissions,
> alternative VCSs).

2 days ago, i posted "Poll: Replacing WebFaction with another Service
Provider"  to the Haiku Inc ML.
The suggested service so far is :  http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/rps_offers.xml
This comes as a recommendation from aldeck, who uses it on a professional basis.

Here's some info about our current setup:

Provided by DreamHost, free for Not-Profit-Organizations
 * www.haiku-files.org
 * ports.haiku-files.org
 * A few mailing lists

Provided by WebFaction, $320USD/year, shared server.
 * multiple  WILDCARD.haiku-os.org sites, including www.,  dev.,

By community:
 * http://haiku.it.su.se:8180/source/
 * haiku-ports.de  (FTP server access)
 * OSDrawer.net & haiku-os.it
 * BeBits/Haikuware

FWIW, our Trac installation does indeed mirror berlios.
I'm just not sure WebFaction would be powerful enough to provide
access for devs/anon
DreamHost isn't capable of hosting our Trac installation, due to
software installed to meet our demands:
 * postgresql -- as it's the only viable database supported by Trac
for a large project, such as Haikup
 * mod_python -- Greatly improves performance. DreamHost only supports
FastCGI and is slower by an order of 10.

One of the biggest issues is finding people willing to perform this migration.
Another is creating an expected annual budget to encourage fundraising.

--mmadia