[haiku-development] Re: BObjectList

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:51:01 +0100 CET

julun <host.haiku@xxxxxx> wrote:
> while i had a short look at Paladins source, i noticed that it is
> using something like:
>
> BObjectList<BString> list;
> list.AddItem(new BString("foo"));
>
> Now i wonder what's the purpose behind this list, especially
> since it's a template based list where i still have to pass an
> pointer to an object instead of the object itself. This seems
> rather useless, i would have expected to be able to do it like this:
[...]
> Maybe I missed something, or is the name just misleading.

I don't see why the name should be misleading; at least I would
consider an object to be a pointer to some black box rather than its
data contents.
In any way, it's not useless at all, it "just" limits its usage scope
somewhat - which is not that surprising since it builds on top of
BList. It's probably not like one would design it when starting anew.
There is always std::vector if you need something else, though.

Bye,
   Axel.