[haiku-development] Re: BFS file system plugin for Total Commander (Windows)

  • From: "Jürgen Wall" <x-otic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 08:03:21 +0100

> Datum: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 16:53:40 +0100
> Von: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [haiku-development] Re: BFS file system plugin for Total Commander
> (Windows)

> Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > As for hosting the code in the Haiku repository, I think it would be
> > misplaced. As such it would not have to follow the coding guide,
> > although considering the BFS code it uses should follow it already,
> > it
> > seems a little awkward to have a mix of styles.
>
> Indeed, although you cannot know what's left of it :-)
> I think the best place for such a software would be osdrawer.net for
> now. The aim should be to use the original BFS sources with as little
> changes as possible, and have some sort of shell around it that
> provides the Windows file system functionality in the long run.

Totally agree. I didn't compare by file content, but the project seems
to be based on the files in
http://dev.haiku-os.org/browser/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/kernel/file_systems/bfs
which had a lot of changes in the meantime.
My plans were to update the project files by the recent ones as soon as reading
access works again.

In fact the project consists of three parts. The BFS sources, a Win32
compatibility layer, and the exported Total Commander API implementation.
As I said it could easily be replaced by something different,
however Total Commander serves as a good userland playground for debugging
while a native Windows fs plugin would be desired in the long run.

BR,
  Jürgen