[haiku-development] Re: Anyone seen this - Vesa delay

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:16:18 +0200

Hi Zenja,

Zenja Solaja wrote:
> Morning / Afternoon / Evening.
>
> I just came back from a month away (Thailand is beautiful), and noticed a
> weird quirk with what may be Vesa related.  When booting on real
> hardware, just before the desktop appears (after all boot-screen icons
> finish loading) there is a new delay which lasts approximately a full
> minute.  During this delay, the actual PC speaker beeped 3 times, with a
> frequency of one beep every 20 seconds or so.  After the 3rd beep, the
> screen went blank, and 20 seconds later the desktop appeared.
>
> When changing screen resolutions, the same thing will happen again.  The
> PC will appear as if its locked up (no mouse movement, no hard disk
> activity), and beep once every 20 seconds.  On the 3rd beep, the screen
> will go blank.
>  After a final 20 seconds, the screen resolution will change, with the
>  good
> old timer to accept new screen resolution or cancel.  Yep, thats right,
> even the timer got suspended for a full minute while waiting for the
> video card to respond.
>
> I have an nVidia 8800GT, Vesa driver.  Before I went on a vacation a
> month ago, this behaviour wasn't happening.  Latest revision displays
> this weirdness.  I have noticed that some work has been done with the
> Vesa driver to allow dynamic updates without reboots.
>
> Has anyone seen this before?

I know that Ingo is experiencing the same behavior. On my system, I just
get "General System Error" when I try to change resolution (VESA also)
during runtime. But I think if I have a vesa kernel settings file with
anything different than the native resolution, my system does not boot. I
am not sure, but I thought for the behavior you describe, there is a bug
report, but I could be wrong.

Jan, any ideas?

Best regards,
-Stephan