[haiku-development] Re: Any suggestions about when and where we should call BMediaEncoder

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:25:57 +0100

Hi,

> Maybe I got your idea. The GSOC project should define and  implement
> WriterPlugin, EncoderPlugin, and then BMediaBufferEncoder and
> BMediaEncoder,
> and some works in MediaAddOn and MediaServer. Is it right?

I think, that's about right, yes! :-) To show the implementation works as
expected, one may need to implement at least one codec for audio and video
respectively, as well as one Writer implementation. Writing Raw audio/video
could work. However, implementing one encoded format plugin could be better
suited to get more coverage of the API and show possible flaws in the design.
So extending for example the existing avcodec plugin to also implement the new
Encoder design could prove beneficial for coming up with an API that really
works in practice.

Best regards,
-Stephan