[haiku-development] Re: Allow BRoster to watch only some signature

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 16:25:23 +0200

On 03/31/2015 04:07 PM, Dario Casalinuovo wrote:
    The BMediaRoster::MessageReceived is actually rejecting anything
    which doesn't have the media_server and addon_server signature, but
    from a conceptual side why should we waste app_server and kernel
    resources if there's not any reason (and there will be not) to watch
    for all apps?

Nice to read NULL ;-), what i understand is the problem does not exist,
nevermind.

Or maybe you're just a bit too impatient? And TBH, I had to read your previous mail multiple times to guess what you actually wanted. So, if I understand it correctly, you want to add a BRoster::StartWatching() version that takes a signature or a list of signatures to watch (and possibly matching StopWatching() versions). I'd be OK with that, but I also find it a very minor issue.

The current coding overhead on the client side is minimal (checking the signature from the received message). If you're watching multiple applications, it is even non-existent, since you'll have to do that check anyway.

There's some general overhead to be saved (port communication, context switches, etc.) when the list of addressees for a notification is already culled in the registrar, but since application starts/terminations are a fairly rare event, that isn't very significant either.

CU, Ingo