[haiku-development] Re: About sound design for Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:22:48 -0400

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This file isn't accessable anymore - I don't know how large your sounds
> are (should only be a few KB, right?), but maybe you can offer a better
> hosting possibility for this? Thanks!

I have mirrored the file here:

http://www.ryanleavengood.com/haiku/StoroZGneva_sound.zip

Now some comments:

The start up sound isn't bad, but I think it is too long. Also even
though Haiku isn't necessarily a "Japanese-themed" operating system,
there have been discussions of using some Japanese instruments in the
start up sound. Things like a Shamisen, Shakuhachi, or Taiko drums.
Combining those with some synthesized sounds like yours might be neat.

I think the beep is also a bit too long and the echoing might be
pretty annoying ;)

I think the mouse down sound is pretty good, though I don't know if we
want to have a sound for an event as common as that. I could see that
sound being used in a media center or similar application when you
click on stuff though.

I think the window open and close sounds are pretty good, but again I
don't know if we really need sounds for those events (at least not by
default.) Though these sounds could also be used for USB drive
mounting and unmounting, which I think would be useful.

--
Regards,
Ryan