[haiku-development] Re: About Contributing to Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 13:24:04 -0500

Hi Rohit,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Rohit Kumar <q.rohit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I want to work on kernel or networking subsystem of haiku os.
> please help regarding what to do and where to start.
> awaiting your replies :D.

The general philosophy with Haiku development is that people work on
areas where they want or where they have experience and skill. We
don't generally "assign" work unless someone is working as a
contractor or sometimes during events like the Google Summer of Code.
So the best bet is to use Haiku, find things that are buggy or
lacking, and then work to improve them. If you made a fix you can
create a ticket (if there is not one already) and then attach a patch
to it. Then a Haiku developer with commit access can evaluate the
patch, provide suggestions for improvement if those are needed, and
then commit the patch. Because we are volunteers this process is not
always fast, so please be patient.

In the meantime if you have not already you should set up a Haiku
development environment and get your own version compiled. For help on
this you can start here:
http://www.haiku-os.org/development/getting-started

--
Regards,