[haiku-development] Re: ARM Port

  • From: "Edward Robbins" <edward.robbins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:09:02 +0100

> Hopefully the discussions around R1/alpha will get you hooked :)

I am sure I will be once I can find a machine that it will run nicely on
-from what I've everything's fairly stable now.

I had a look through the current wish list and there are a couple of
projects other than the ARM port that I could perhaps be tempted by, if I
could find the time - in particular, PPP integration, the network
preferences app, and OHCI support look interesting. However, I wouldn't want
to commit myself to be honest, I don't know how you guys find time to code
Haiku and go to work and eat and sleep and have a life as well!

But for an ARM port I'm sure I could find time to help out :) I think Haiku
makes a lot of sense as an embedded OS, although I think you'd probably need
to change the UI quite a bit for small screens once it was working.

> > I am also not
> > familiar with haiku and this 'pervasive multi-threading' sounds a bit
> > scary.
>
> It's really buzzword, using you usually don't even notice windows use
> their own threads in simple code, you just use it.

Is 'pervasive multi-threading' used at the kernel level? That is what was
worrying me, it didn't quite make sense to my mind and sounds like it could
make development hard!

> However, we'll be focussing on R1/alpha for x86 the next months, and I
> have the m68k port to finish first :D

I read your article but I have to say that porting to 68k sounds a bit
insane! Nothing wrong with that though...

At the very least I'll keep following your progress and continue to tell
everyone I know about this amazing OS that they WILL be using next year...

Ed