[haiku-development] Re: A random post on UI and UX design

  • From: "Edward Robbins" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "edd.robbins" for DMARC)
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 08:43:17 +0100

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 08:13:23PM +0000, kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
There have been various posts about UI and UX design in Haiku over the
years, I wanted to briefly reflect on them.

"Haiku isn't touch friendly"

While using a touchscreen for every task sounded futuristic and exciting,
the fad quickly started to die off once users started doing real work and
realized that it just didn't mesh with any real-world workflow.

We knew this since people tried to use lightpens on 1980's computers.
Then they settled on the mouse instead for the same reasons. It's harder
to learn how to use a mouse, but in the end it's a lot better.

I think an exception to this is the EPOC OS used in PSION machines,
e.g. the netbook. This was stylus rather than finger oriented, and
more similar to a mouse based interface than a finger based one.
Personally I found it a very intuitive system, and nicer to use than
mouse based WIMP systems. They also had some very clever ways of
saving screen space, for example menus were invisible until a user
presses the menu key or taps the menu button on the touch screen
silkscreen. It's a shame that nothing like it exists now. If haiku
were to go in that direction, it would be nice to see features like
that to extend the existing interface, rather than a whole new "touch
oriented" GUI.