[haiku-appserver] Re: Linkage Mess

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:59:26 +0200

On 2005-07-12 at 15:35:18 [+0200], Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For one I don't understand why -lbe is manually added to the
> > LINKFLAGS and
> > "be" listed below as library to be linked against again. But the fact
> > that
> > the whole thing is linked against R5's libbe at all I find quite
> > disconcerting. I don't know, how many classes besides BRegion are
> > used in
> > the app server, but I wouldn't be surprised, if that's a reason why
> > the
> > test environment behaves different in some aspects than the true
> > thing
> > under Haiku.
>
> FWIW, libopenbeos.so links against libbe.so as well - we would need to
> change that as well...

Ah, I didn't even think this one is still there. I haven't tested it yet,
but if our kits are complete enough, we should be able to just remove it.
libbe code that needs to be accessed for any reason should be made
available through libbeadapter.

> > May I kindly propose that the test platform dependent code be moved
> > into an
> > add-on, so that libappserver and the app_server itself don't need to
> > link
> > against any test platform libs besides libroot.
>
> AFAIK only the BApplication and ViewInterface stuff relies on the test
> platform. Any other things?
> How hard would it be to put them into an add-on?

Not that hard, I hope. What has to be taken care of is that objects may
cross implementations by passing them through the interface. E.g. a BRegion
passed to the add-on may have been created with the libopenbeos code and
will be used by the libbe code.

> For a start, a shared library could help as well, BTW, and would be
> much simpler to do, although it wouldn't guarantee us that we're free
> of host dependencies.

Why not? There should be little difference between a library and an add-on,
save that a library will be easier to use. Or do I miss something?

CU, Ingo