[hackpgh-discuss] Re: let's make "free talk" more clear...

  • From: Doug Philips <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:36:38 -0500

On 3/7/13 10:08 PM, j. eric townsend wrote:
just an fyi on some email I received today:

 >I was on hackpittsburgh's website and I saw you have an event next
 >Tuesday @ 7:30.  I am not a member of hackpittsburgh but would
 >strongly consider becoming one.  I would like to attend this event (I
 >can bring $30 for dues).  A little about myself: I live just a little

There are a bunch of things intertwined here, and I'm replying on the list since we have a number of new members who are still absorbing all the info we dumped on them. :-)

* I hope you (jet) told this person that your event is free and open to the public (as is required of any outside group meeting in our space).

* We really want folks to visit the space a few times before joining.

* Paying dues in cash can only be done through a council member.

* Joining starts with dues and initiation ($45).

* From the time the initial dues and initiation fees are paid, it can take a week, plus or minus, to get everything in place. (We need to do a better job on our messaging about this.)

Thanks, and I hope this person turns up Tuesday to participate in your event!
    -=Doug