[hackpgh-discuss] Re: ergonomics

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 18:05:36 -0400

Ha. Amusing to see email about building furniture while I'm face down in Anarchist's Tool Chest and woodworking books. You know, those paper things...

In the mid-90s I had RSI so bad I couldn't type for a year. I spent a lot of that time reading on ergonomics and have self-educated in a number of workspace-related areas since. I also used every ergo keyboard I could find in the bay area, switched to the Kinesis, and never looked back.

On 4/22/16 16:30, Andrew C. wrote:

Seconded Steve, watchwork is many, many hours hunched in a chair,
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No furniture design will fix this, at best it might add an hour to "many". Frequent breaks, stretching, light exercise, and changes of tools/keyboards/chairs/tables/etc are all needed for us to stay healthy. My viola instructor knows she has to stop practicing at some point or she's going to injure her body, so it's not just engineering that needs rest and breaks.

So chairs. That's the first problem, sitting for work when we evolved to work while standing, kneeling, or being in other no-chairs-yet positions. If I have to sit I move every ~30 minutes, change chairs, change the height of my desk, etc. At Apple I switched to standing while I worked, the first week was a workout of ignored back muscles but standing soon became more comfortable than sitting/slouching.

A review of a book to read on chairs and why we sit:
http://www.allartburns.org/2006/01/26/review-the-chair-rethinking-culture-body-and-design-galen-cranz/

My thoughts on the Hag Capisco, I've had one in my office for ~10 years and still love it to death. Lots and lots of comments in the past ten years.
http://www.allartburns.org/2006/10/07/a-year-with-a-hag-capisco/

But if you want to build furniture, something I enjoy doing, there are some great designs to work from. I would start with Papanek and Hennessey's "Nomadic Furniture" and Hennessey's "Nomadic Furniture 2".

My review (with a surprise comment!):
http://www.allartburns.org/2007/10/25/review-nomadic-furniture/

A review with photos:
<http://www.youareelectric.com/victor-papanek-participatory-design-and-nomadic-furniture/>