[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Basic Electricity Class on Jan 30

  • From: Joachim Hall <jjoachimhall@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 16:39:51 -0500

That looks really good Geno! Nice work! I can help you out with the class
if you'd like. Not sure about the Arduino part of the class but I can
certainly help with the electronics part.

-Joachim

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Geno Soroka <geno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On January 30th we will have a Basic Electricity class which will be part
of a series of classes for 2016. At the end of all these classes, the
student will roughly have enough knowledge to build a 3d printer.

Basic Electricity and Electronics (Jan 30)
Learn to Solder TBD
Basic Arduino Programming TBD
Advanced Arduino Programming TBD
Sensors Sensors Sensors TBD
Motor Control TBD

Let me know if I'm missing any. HackPGH does this every year, and
eventually I think we need to include mechanical classes as well.

I finished half the presentation. The theory part. After working on this I
realized there is a ton to cover, so this will be a 4 hour class, begin at
10am, lunch at noon, and continue after. There will be pizza for 10 people
(max number of students).

Since we have many of the parts already (from previous classes), the cost
of the class will cover the pizza. The cost will be $30 a student, with
discounts for HackPGH members.

I will post the class on Eventbrite and our meetup page, and the main
website soon.

Who is this class for? If you are a complete and total beginner when it
comes to electricity, you will love this. If you already know electronics,
you may be bored, or may refresh some things from High School physics.

After the theory, the students will build a basic piano with a 555 timer
and buttons. This is actually great because it involves knowing how to add
resistors in parallel and series.

No soldering required, just breadboard (which will be included in the cost
and handed out)

Here is the link to my presentation which is 50% done.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22yo8yjdiiaWWtfMF9jTjhscmc/view?usp=sharing

Happy New Year!
-Geno

Secretary | HackPGH