[hackpgh-balloon] We're launching Sunday!

  • From: Doug Philips <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-balloon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 08:46:25 -0500

The weather is finally looking up and we're planning to launch on Sunday!

I put up a short blog post on the main site.
Last night Gary started looking at potential launch sites, but we won't be seriously nailing down locations until Friday night. Final launch location will be confirmed Sunday morning.

We picked Sunday in part because there is a class in the shop Saturday, and in part because it gives us a little more time to dot all the teas and cross all our eyes.

Gabe is going to get a backup cylinder of Helium since we're no longer 100% sure of the amount we have left in the main tank and not knowing how much that tank weighs empty we have no way to find out in advance.

Gary has tested his camera in the vast coldness of his freezer and got very little fogging when it came back up to room temp, so we think we're good to go there.

Bob is going to fly a conventional GPS with logger to see just what it's parameters are.

I haven't had time to work up a payload with Sayan's sensors...
Only one of our two main transmitters is working, so I need to look at the solder connections Friday night and add some long overdue strain relief.

Gabe will bring a chainsaw (no kaboom devices!), I'll bring the axe, and we'll probably borrow the shop's machette though Bob also has one.

Friday night after the tesla coil settles down, we'll do a dry run of the launch procedure to double check supplies and to give everyone an idea of how things'll go Sunday.

To the Skies!
   -=D