hackfix-virusnews: Klez: Hi Mom, We're No. 1 (interesting article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:13:03 -0400

Klez: Hi Mom, We're No. 1
By Michelle Delio

2:00 a.m. May 24, 2002 PDT

It's official. Klez is the most virulent e-mail virus
of all time.

For close to a year, SirCam was the virus most likely
to turn up in your e-mail box. But representatives
from a half-dozen antivirus firms now believe that
"Klez.H" is the most pervasive e-mail virus in
cyberhistory, estimating that it has infected
hundreds of thousands of computers within hours of
first
being spotted in mid-April.

And so far, Klez has shown no signs of going away.

"I don't even bother having Klez messages counted as
they come in any more," confessed Rod Fewster,
Australian representative of antiviral application
NOD32. "The number of Klez-infected e-mails surpassed
SirCam in sheer volume days ago, and that's not even
counting all of the Klez-related e-mails."

More interesting than Klez's ability to entice vast
numbers of users to open its infected e-mailed
attachments is how the virus -- which is neither
particularly clever nor cutting edge -- managed to
turn
some antiviral applications into spam-generating
machines.

Read more here:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,52765,00.h
tml

Copyright 2002, Lycos, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Lycos=AE is a registered trademark of Carnegie Mellon
University..  Reposted with Permission.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~