hackfix-virusnews: Are you the Klez monster? (interesting article)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 18:20:03 -0400

Are you the Klez monster?
By Robert Lemos
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
May 17, 2002, 1:05 PM PT

It may only be a matter of time before you're accused
of spreading the Klez virus.

A month after it started spreading, the Klez.h worm
isn't slowing down, said antivirus experts on Friday.
Moreover, the worm's technique of forging the address
of the sender on each infected e-mail message is
creating a flood of warnings from gateway antivirus
software informing the wrong people that they are
infected.

"A lot of traffic is being multiplied by the response
mechanisms and refusal mechanisms," said Fred Cohen,
security practitioner in residence at the University
of New Haven.

In many cases, antivirus software protecting a
company's e-mail gateways is sending out a response
to each infected e-mail inadvertently sent out by a
victim--but that warning is going to the wrong
person. "So, in effect,
you're getting twice the fun you would normally get,"
Cohen said.

Read more here:

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-916945.html

Reprinted from CNET.com, with permission from CNET,
Inc., copyright 1995-2002

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~