[guispeak] TCP3270 Terminal Emulation with JAWS 7.0

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:02:50 -0700

Hi folks,
Today I set up JAWS on a client's machine running Windows XP Pro. The
client will be using the MS Office Suite, Groupwise 6.5 and an application
called Automated Case Management System, which
is used to track medical services.  ACMS is actually a Unix-based
application which is accessed using a terminal emulation package called
TCP3270.  I had my doubts about whether it would be accessible with JAWS
7.0, and it seems that it isn't without any specific scripts running, as
expected.  All screens are unreadable except with the JAWS or invisible
cursor, and the second you try to use any arrow keys to look around with the
PC cursor, you're thrown out of the application entirely.  Not nice. I'd
like to make this work for the client if possible, so I'm wondering if
anybody out there has used TCP3270 to access a Unix app like ACMS, and how
did you get things working.  Are scripts available anywhere?  The client's
job will ride on whether an acceptable solution can be found for this
situation, so this is a matter of critical importance.  I'll check with
Freedom Scientific to see what they may know about it, but I thought I'd
post here to see what anybody has to say first.  Any help you can give me is
sincerely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Tom