[guispeak] Re: Peer to Peer network

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:52:20 -0000

Hi Otis,

It's not an easy or quick subject to answer, but I'll try to
cover some of the basics.

To network on a pier to pier basis, that is to say without
using a dedicated file server, you ideally need something
called a "Router".  You also need in each PC, a hardware
device which will connect to the Router.  This might be a
network card, a wireless card, or indeed there may already
be a betwork connection on one or more of your PCs.

A Router is essentially a connection box into which PC's can
be connected by wire, and or wireless.

The question of using wires or a wirelss system depends on a
number of factors.  Wires are faster, but you obviously need
to string them round the house, which may or may not be easy
to do.  Wireless on the other hand gets round stringing
cables about, but is slower, and can raise security issues.

That said, you can also use both wires and wireless on the
same network.  (I do this at home)

The next thing to consider is Internet access.  How are you
connected at the moment?  DSL?  Cable?  Dial-up?  The answer
can have a deciding factor or what sort of Router you get.
These days, you can get DSL Routers, for example.  These are
ideal if you wish to reduce equipment clutter, and also for
Internet sharing, so that three PCs can all access the
internet at the same time.

Printers may be the next thing to consider.  If you
currently have a printer connected to one of your PCs, then
that PC will need to remain switched on if you wish to print
from another PC.  You can however also get Routers with a
USB printer port, or you can get a "print server".  This is
a small box which connects in to the Router and printer,
thus making the printer into a "Network Printer".

Setting everything up after you install the hardware can be
tricky, although with Windows XP, Service Pack 2, life is
much simpler.  It involves "Sharing" disk drives and
devices, and makinging sure everything is on the same
network.

That's a quick summary, which I am sure will raise more
questions, so feel free to ask, because it is a topic which
interests many people.

George Bell.