[guispeak] Re: OpenBook

  • From: Glenda Born <gjborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 16:11:52 -0500

You should have gotten a quick start guide with the basic keyboard commands in Braille and Print, in the same document. When you purchased it, I hope it was Openbook 7.02, which is the latest currently released version. You should be able to press Alt-H to get to the online manual. If you press the #1 key on the numeric keypad, that is the "key describer", which should tell you what the keys on the numeric keypad do, what the function keysdo, and any combination of keys such as CTRL-D which is the dictionary keystroke etc. I know this is brief and may not be all that detailed but hopefully that will give you a jumping off place.

Glenda

At 07:58 AM 4/21/2007, you wrote:
Hello all --
I just purchased the latest version of OpenBook and installed it.  I did not
install connect out loud or realspeak as I have jaws8.

But I ran the program and it immediaitely started scanning and I couldn't
stop it.  Furthermore, it doesn't behave like jaws in that I can't access
menus or help of any kind.
I am stumped as to how to work this thing.  There is a readme that hasn't
been updated since 2004 and gives no directions on how to use it.
There is a "Getting Started" audio CD that I started listening to, but it is
full of stuff like registering the product and sounds as old as the
readme -- it even refers to using the floppy authorization cd.
I suppose I should have listened to the whole thing bu after 10 minutes with
only limited information, I turned it off.

That appears to be the only documentation there is for this thing.
Am I missing something?
Perhaps there was a document that got put away somewhere but I don't
remember one.

Can anyone point me to a good help file for OpenBook?
Well, at least I know my scanner is working...*smile*
TIA
--le