[guispeak] Installer for NVDA screen reader

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programming@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 07:47:14 -0500 (EST)

http://www.EmpowermentZone.com/nvda380setup.exe

This installer is a contribution to NVDA (Nonvisual Desktop Access), which
I've been working on and discussing on the NVDA development list.  The
purpose is to make it easier for people to try, learn, and use the
program, thereby increasing momentum behind this open source project.

Although the GPL license would permit doing so, I am not planning to
establish an ongoing alternate source for NvDA.  Rather, I'm trying to
pilot the idea of a convenient installer that eventually gets incorporated
in some way -- either with or without the Inno Setup technology with which
I could leverage a contribution based on my experience.

The installer offers a target folder, defaulting to
C:\Program Files\NVDA

It creates an NVDA program group with shortcuts to launch NVDA, read
documentation, uninstall, view the license, go to the web site, or download an
audio demonstration.

An NVDA desktop shortcut is also created.  Optionally, one can associate it
with the system-wide hot key, Alt+Control+Shift+N.  Once NVDA is loaded,
however, one should use Insert+N instead, otherwise another copy of NVDA will
be loaded (NVDA is currently not a single instance application).  The Installer
additionally makes it possible to launch NVDA by entering nvda.exe or just nvda
at the Windows Start/Run prompt or equivalent.

Another option is whether to install the Espeak SAPI5 software synthesizer.
This and other optional tasks are checked by default.

Jamal