[guide.chat] steven's legacy in his own words

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:44:52 +0100

Steven's Legacy...in his own words

After returning home, Steven Stayner shared his insights into finding abducted
children:

    "When it comes to finding abducted children, most people think of posters
and milk cartons.  Photographs are very important in finding abducted children.
 But to depend on pictures alone is a big mistake.

    "That is because the pictures may not reach the isolated areas where
abductors take children, but also because children change and abductors can
easily change a child's appearance.

    "I believe the single most important thing you can do to help find abducted
children is to be aware of the problem and keep an eye out for suspicious
'family' situations around you.

    "For starters, many abductors are men appearing as single parents, with one
child.  They intentionally choose to live in isolated areas and are generally
not socially active.

    "You should know that the first thing abductors often do is convince the
child that their parents don't want them.  My abductor faked phone calls to my
parents.  He actually told me he went to court to get legal custody.  I was
seven.  I had nowhere else to turn.  I eventually accepted the lie as reality.

    "The next stage was adapting for survival.  This meant doing anything to
avoid punishment.  I actually helped my abductor keep the secret.

    "So don't expect abducted children to come up and ask for help.  They're
totally dependent on their abductors.  And if they're being sexually abused,
which is usually the case, the last thing they want is to draw attention to it.

    "I trusted no one.  My greatest fear was that someone would find out the
truth and confront my 'father'.  I didn't know what he'd do.  As bad as things
were, I knew it could get worse.

    "To survive, abducted children must learn to lie.  When people would ask me
about my past, I made it up.  I now assume people knew I was lying, but no one
ever tried to find out why.

    "Throughout the seven years, we were constantly moving.  We lived in five
different towns, in a dozen houses and trailer homes.  The minute my abductor
felt people were getting too close, we'd pack up.  That kind of movement is
typical of abductions.  So is a child who's not enrolled in school.

    "My abductor was careful and made sure I was always enrolled.  If people
paid attention to my relationship with my 'father' there were clues that
something was wrong.  It was not a normal father-son relationship.  And among
other things, at 13, I was taller than, and looked nothing like, my 'father'.

    "You should know that most abductors are pedophiles, not psychotic killers.
 They don't have good relationships with adults.  They start out molesting
children and graduate to longer abductions.  And when they murder children,
often it's to get rid of the evidence.

    "As is often the case, there were people involved with my abductor who knew
the truth.  These people could have saved me at any time, but were afraid of
legal trouble.  You should know that in other cases where people have come
forward to save a child, they have not been prosecuted.  These people often
hold the power of life and death.

    "Before I was grabbed, my abductor had been convicted of child molesting.
Throughout my abduction, he never stopped molesting other children.  Even so,
after taking me from my home, abusing me for seven years and abducting another
5-year old, he served only three and one-half years in jail.

    "Today, no one knows how many missing children are dead or how many now
live as I did.  But if you're going to help, you have to be aware of the real
nature of stranger abduction and be committed to helping children.  While it
may be hard for you to tell an abducted child from an abused child, it's not
hard to tell a child in trouble.  And it's not hard to do something about it.
If you know of, or suspect, there's a situation where a child is in trouble,
please call the police."

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123