[guide.chat] more on dla

  • From: "Scott C" <castledine10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:53:13 +0100

For anyone else like Davie boy there that thinks this isn't anything anyone's
taking seriously this is from the RNIB's official web sight.

I can and will send the link to anyone that wants to check I've not made this
up.

But for ease I've copied the web page below for you.

  Ta Scott.

Defending Attendance Allowance - www.rnib.org.uk.

Jump to site navigation.
Jump to Campaigns navigation.

Campaigns.
Print.   Email.
Defending Attendance Allowance.
Defending Attendance Allowance.
Why do we feel so strongly?.
Are other benefits also threatened?.
What is RNIB doing to defend AA?.
What can I do?.
Defending Attendance Allowance.
In July 2009 the Government published a social care Green Paper, Shaping the
future of care together to address the challenge of growing demands on
England's social care system. This paper has its pluses and minuses and RNIB
will be submitting a full response in due course.
At this stage we already know that one very big minus is the proposal that
Attendance Allowance (AA) should be abolished and the money used to help plug
the gap in funding for social care.
RNIB agrees that this gap needs to be plugged - but not at the expense of AA.
We are very strongly opposed to the loss of this important benefit.Why do we
feel so strongly?.
Attendance allowance is a non-means-tested benefit that helps people over the
age of 65 with the extra costs of disability. If somebody meets the conditions,
they get the benefit and can spend it as they wish - all the advantages of an
individual budget. Currently over 53,000 blind and partially sighted people
receive AA.
If AA were dissolved into the social care "kitty", these funds would become
means-tested, cash-limited and rationed. And if anything like the current
rationing system were in place, many blind and partially sighted people would
be excluded altogether.
The Government says that existing claimants would be protected. But that isn't
the point - this whole debate is about the future.Are other benefits also
threatened?.
AA is most clearly in the spotlight. However the Green Paper implies some other
disability benefits might be used to increase the funding available for social
care. This could include the care (but not mobility) component of Disability
Living Allowance (DLA). RNIB would strongly oppose this change.What is RNIB
doing to defend AA?.
We will tell the Government very clearly why this measure would be very bad
news for blind and partially sighted people, both in our response to the Green
Paper and at every other opportunity. We will join with other organisations in
campaigning against its abolition. And we will be collecting evidence on the
difference that AA makes to the lives of people with sight loss.What can I do?.
Tell the Government your views. The Green Paper consultation closing date is 13
November 2009. If you get AA yourself, or know someone who does, say what you
or they spend it on and would miss out on if it wasn't there.
You can let the Government know your views by
emailing  careandsupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or through the website  www.careandsupport.direct.gov.uk.
or by writing to the Care and Support Team, Room 149, Richmond House, 79
Whitehall, London, SW1A 2NS.
Please copy us into what you say by emailing  gfimister@xxxxxxxxxxxx  or
writing to Geoff Fimister, Campaigns Team, RNIB, 105 Judd St., London, WC1H 9NE.
We would also be interested in anything else you would like to say about the
Green Paper, which you can get from the Dept. of Health at the Government
addresses above.Further Information.
If you would like any further information you can contact us by phone on 020
7391 2123 or by email  campaign@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Content author: campaign@xxxxxxxxxxx
Last updated: 06/08/2009 16:34
Print.   Email.
Campaigns contents .
Contact us.
FAQs.
Useful links.
Sight loss.
Income.
Employment.
Access to TV.
Health & social care.
Access to information.
Europe.
Get involved.
Public policy.
More info.
In your area.
Jobs.
Scotland.
Wales/Cymru.
Northern Ireland.
England regions.
Events.  Form 1.     Quiz.
Smokers are twice as likely to develop eye diseases such as cataracts and
age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to blindness.
Radio button: Not selected.  True
Radio button: Not selected.  False
Radio button: Not selected.  I don't know
Button: Go!.
End of form.
Latest updates.
Government project brings accessible textbooks for children a step closer.
Blind people in Sheffield call for health information they can read.
Losing Patients.
Related info.
RNIB Talking Book Service needs your support.
Events for Make a Noise in Libraries Fortnight 2009.
Make a Noise in Libraries fortnight: 6-19 July 2009.
Your stories.
Jenny's story - Jenny Burgess volunteered for a disability support group run by
people with physical disabilities. She was the only staff member with a sight
problem. "I depended on a colleague with physical disabilities to give me a
lift to work. I have far greater mobility problems than most people with
physical disabilities who can drive a car, yet receive less benefit - it's
unfair and unjust." Join our campaign to make the mobility component of the
Disability Living Allowance fair -  taken for a ride. .
RNIB Home . Supporting blind and partially sighted people
Tools menu.
donate.
forums.
what's new.
contact us.
help.
small text.
medium text.
large text.
Site navigation.
Eye Info.
Daily Life.
Support Us.
About Us.
Good Design.
Shop.  Campaigns submenu.
Campaigns.
Fundraising.
Volunteering.  You are here.
Back to:
Home.  >
Support Us.  >
Campaigns.  Search site.
Form 2.        Search:  Radio button: Selected.  Whole site  Radio button: Not
selected.  Campaigns section  Text Box:  Value is: blank.   Button: Go!.
End of form.
Copyright ©.  2009 Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB), Registered
Charity Number 226227