[guide.chat] brooklyn bridge taken

  • From: "vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 12:36:21 -0000

Thousands of Occupy Wall Street protesters marched across the Brooklyn Bridge
Thursday as clashes with police led to over 250 arrests on the two-month
anniversary of the anti-capitalist movement.
The evening march, which took place without incident, was a show of force for
the Occupy Wall Street campaign that has gone global, despite some recent
setbacks including the clearing of the movement's home base in a New York park.
The New York protests were part of a "Global Day of Action" with hundreds of
demonstrations planned across the United States. Police evicted protesters in
Los Angeles and Dallas, arresting dozens of people.
In London, protesters refused to budge as a deadline to leave their camp
outside St Paul's Cathedral by 1800 GMT passed, with the City of London
Corporation now expected to start legal action to remove them.
Thousands also marched in Spain and Athens to protest austerity measures and
public spending cuts, although the demonstrations were not directly linked to
the OWS movement.
"We are unstoppable! Another world is possible!" chanted the crowd on the
Brooklyn Bridge, which organizers said was 20,000 strong. New York police
refused to offer a crowd estimate.
Union activists and students joined the movement's hardened members for the
march, which was kept to the bridge's pedestrian walkway -- allowing evening
rush hour traffic to proceed unhindered under the watchful eye of police.
Trucks and cars honked their horns in support of the demonstrators, who carried
small electric candles in a festive atmosphere.
"Economic disparity has become worse and worse and we're becoming a third world
country. The people who have the most are not paying their fair share," said
72-year-old Helen Engehardt.
"The people who turned Wall Street into Las Vegas are not being held
accountable. But people are waking up."
Protesters staged an impromptu party in Brooklyn after the march.
The feel-good evening came after a day of acrimony between protesters and
police outside the New York Stock Exchange, where clashes led to "over 200"
arrests, according to a New York Police Department spokesman.
Chanting "Wall Street's closed!" "We are the 99 percent" and "Whose street? Our
street!" about 1,000 demonstrators engaged in a tense face-off with hundreds of
police, including many on horseback outside the iconic exchange.
While the stock market opened on time at 9:30 am (1430 GMT), protesters managed
a 45-minute blockade outside the NYSE. Police eventually intervened to break
through, establishing a corridor to escort traders and workers.
Amid the chaos, police then moved in to clear the street, and ensuing clashes
sent police and protesters clattering to the ground. One man was repeatedly
clubbed with a police baton, while several protesters were handcuffed and
dragged into police trucks.
NYPD commissioner Ray Kelly said seven police officers had been hurt in the
morning clashes. Police later said that 64 people were arrested at the Brooklyn
Bridge march, bringing the number of arrests to over 250.
Up to 2,000 people later regrouped in Zuccotti Park, the symbolic heart of the
movement where the Occupy camp was dismantled by police in a nighttime raid
early Tuesday.
"We need to show we are bigger than Zuccotti Park, that we are resilient, that
we refuse to submit to brutal police tactics," said Jessica Lingel, 28, a
librarian from New Jersey.
At least one exasperated New York cop seemed to concede victory to the
protesters, who launched their movement exactly two months ago to denounce
corporate greed and the world's wealthiest "one percent."
"They've blocked everything off. This is what happens when you kick them out of
the park: you stir a hornet's nest," said the officer who would not provide his
name. "They wanted to disrupt Wall Street, and they've done it."
In Washington, more than 200 protesters marched under police escort from the
Occupy DC encampment, near the White House, for the Francis Scott Key Bridge
over the Potomac River, marching through the heart of the US capital.
In Chicago, thousands of protesters blocked rush hour traffic as they marched
past financial institutions to a rally in front of the Chicago Board of Trade,
chanting "Banks got bailed out! We got sold out!"
On the West Coast, more than 70 people were arrested after a day of protests
that included a morning sit-in at a major downtown intersection in Los Angeles.
Police in Portland, Oregon said 34 people had been arrested during the day.
More than 460 protests were planned across the country, according to activist
group MoveOn.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123