[guide.chat] Your thoughts please.

  • From: "A. Machray" <a.machray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 12:33:26 -0000

Hello Everyone,
When I first received my credit card, the only way that I found out the details
on it, was when I got my information pack.
This had the long number on it with the pin number.  Guide could read the long
number, but I still do not know what the pin number is, but I would never use
it anyway.  I use a signature only and most shops accept this.
I had to get a family member to tell me the issue and expiry dates on the card
along with the security code on the back for on-line use.
Not really a safe method but as safe as we can get really, I think.

On receiving a new card, I have found that the long number remains the same but
issue and expiry dates naturally change along with the security code number and
this means sighted help again.  I have tried my bank to tell me these numbers
but they refuse on the grounds of security.
I suppose that they are only covering themselves, which is natural these days,
but creates a problem for us.  I have requested them to type this information
for me but they refuse that as well.  We are supposed to be able to trust these
people but it appears that they do not trust us.

Alex Machray from Scotland.
Skype name:  A.Machray

Original Message From:  Sally
Hi Everyone,

When we occasionally receive our new debit or credit card with a changed number
on it, its usually good friends or relatives that tell us the new number so we
can take a note of it along with Expiry date etc.  But if we had to find that
new number out ourselves, how would we do that, without being able to see the
numbers?  It will be good  to receive your thoughts on this matter.

TTFN
Sally