[guide.chat] Tennis news about Andy Murray

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:22:10 -0000

BBC Sport
Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
Venue: O2 Arena, London
Date: 20-27 November
Coverage: One match each day live on BBC TV, streamed online & available
through iPlayer; live text commentary on BBC Sport website & mobiles; every
singles match live on BBC 5 live sports extra
Murray falls to Ferrer in Masters
Andy Murray will decide on Tuesday whether to pull out of the ATP World Tour
Finals after aggravating a groin injury during his loss to David Ferrer.
Murray lost his opening match 6-4 7-5 and later revealed he strained the muscle
in his left leg a few days after the Paris Masters.
"I had a problem with my groin," said the British number one. "I'll decide on
Tuesday whether or not I keep playing.
"I've been carrying it - it was something that happened in training."
His next match is scheduled for Wednesday, against Tomas Berdych,  on Monday
night.
If Murray pulls out, he will be replaced by Serbia's Janko Tipsarevic.
"I have to see how it goes, sometimes you've got to do the right thing," he
stated. "I didn't know exactly how it was going to feel on the court today.
"I can [technically] decide until one minute before the match on Wednesday but
I'll see how I feel tonight and tomorrow and decide."
Analysis.
Former British number one and BBC commentator
For a player of Andy Murray's calibre, defeat by David Ferrer in your opening
match is a bitterly disappointing result, but we've got to appreciate his
physical condition
Murray was beaten by Berdych in the French capital on 11 November and then went
straight into training ahead of the season-ending championship at London's O2
Arena.
The Scot mentioned at Saturday's pre-tournament press conference that had been
nursing "a few niggles" but there was no suggestion of a serious problem.
However, he clearly struggled to move freely in the early stages against Ferrer
and a medical time-out was called at the end of the first set.
Murray received a lengthy massage from the trainer but his discomfort was still
evident in the second set as Ferrer came through to triumph in exactly two
hours.
The 24-year-old took more than an hour-and-a-half to emerge for his post-match
media obligations and looked totally dejected as he delivered news of the
injury.
Match stats.
Murray Ferrer
Unforced errors
First serves
Double faults
1st serve win %
2nd serve win %
Receiving pts won
Break points
"I haven't been able to do too much training this week," said world number
three Murray. "If it wasn't this event or a Grand Slam, I wouldn't have played.
"I just felt it. I've never really had many strains. It's more bony, jointy
things that I've had, especially playing on hard courts. It was the first time
I'd really felt anything go.
"There's stuff you do any time you have injuries to try to help it - ice it,
wearing compression shorts, massage, do an ice bath tonight.
"You can get acupuncture, needles, sometimes those things can help and make it
feel better."