[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] question for people born Blind

  • From: "clare moulds" <clare@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:38:06 +0100

Good Evening Carol. Let me be one of the first people to answer your question.
Well as I have been totally blind since birth colours don't mean a thing to me
as never seen them so they can't even be described to me as how can anyone
explain a colour to someone who has never seen as we just don't know what they
are and doesn't make sense to us so is just a meaningless word. It's the same
with imagining things I find it so hard to imagine things I have never seen in
fact it's impossible as we haven't got anything to go on. I can't even imagine
what people look like but for me it's personality that counts anyway so that
can easily be overcome. I actually find the outdoors quite daunting with never
having sight so this is why I won't go out alone using a cane and don't want to
have a guide dog but I admire those who do they do amazing for sure. I prefer
to have someone with me as feel happier and safer. It's easier for anyone who
has had sight in the past but for us totally blind people we have no memory of
things. All we can do is experience things and try to imagine by the way
something feels. Having said all this I believe our other senses are stronger
to make up for having no sight. Hope this answers your question. Love Clare
xxxxxx