[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] New Law for Doggies of microchips

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:14:26 +0100

Hi All. does anyone know weather guide dogs and service dogs are chipped. I
think they should be. People have been known to steal these dogs. I know of two
occations where someone has tried to take my friends guide dog when it was free
running. Luckerly they were stopped by a passer by that new the dog.

love Malcolm. xxx

microchips for dogs are to be introduced in England, under plans expected to be
announced on Monday.
Ministers are expected to say that every newborn puppy should be microchipped
to make it easier to trace and prosecute owners of violent dogs.
But critics of the plan question its effectiveness and the potential cost of
the move.
Earlier this month Northern Ireland became the first part of the UK to
introduce a law on microchipping.
The microchips each contain a unique number and are implanted into the loose
skin between a dog's shoulder blades.
The information will reportedly be stored on a central database which can be
accessed by the police and the RSPCA.'Irresponsible owners'
Charities have broadly welcomed the rules, suggesting they could also help
reunite lost dogs with owners.
A spokesman for the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said: "We
will very shortly be announcing a package of measures to tackle the problems
caused by irresponsible dog owners.
"This is an issue we take extremely seriously and so have taken the time
necessary to get the policy right."
About 5,000 owners already voluntarily choose to microchip their dogs.
Welsh Environment Minister John Griffiths said last December that he was
requiring all dogs in Wales to be microchipped.
The Welsh government is to consult on plans for compulsory microchipping later
this year.
Meanwhile, Scotland's Cabinet Secretary for Rural Affairs and the Environment,
Richard Lochhead, said in March  to introduce compulsory microchipping.
More on This Story.
Related Stories.
08 APRIL 2012, NORTHERN IRELAND
09 FEBRUARY 2012, POLITICS
08 MARCH 2012, SUFFOLK
From other news sites.
MSN UK 1 hr ago.
Scotland of Food & Drink 20 hrs ago.
Related Internet links.
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites
Comments .
or  to comment and rate comments.
All posts are  and must obey the .
All posts are
and must obey the
rate this  +7
rate this  +7 Comment number 205.. Mr Wonderful
55 Minutes ago
The best way to ensure compliance is to also make it illegal to sell or pass on
a dog that's not chipped. Responsible breeders and those who care about the
welfare of dogs aren't likely to have a problem with this, and the problem
needs to be dealt with at source.
I don't see any plans to apply this new law retrospectively, so it will be
about a decade or so before it's fully effective anyway.
rate this  +3
rate this  +3 Comment number 143.. London_Tom
2 Hours ago
A good idea and its about time! Dogs are animals after all and unpredictable as
a result. Owners must be held responsible for the violent and fouling actions
of their creatures.
-----