[guide.chat] In Reply To: Book worm club

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jenny Coupe" <jenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 22:51:47 +0100

Hi, Jenny;
As I posted the other day, I've started on re-reading Tolkien, starting off
with the Hobbit. It isn't my favourite, but I always use it as an intro to the
Lord of the Rings, the only book I've never got tired reading, and re-reading.
There's just so much in there; a simple quest story overlaid with poetry,
mythology, a fantastic mythical history, and so many questions left unanswered.
I also have the Silmarillion, and Sons of Hurin, on CD. Both these are set way
before the Third age, and are very complicated and strange at times, but
nonetheless brilliant, absorbing reading.