[guide.chat] :Fwd: reformatted story: The Groopman dinner table!

  • From: Keith Wines <muckyduck2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:46:40 -0000

: Fwd: Reformatted story: The Groopman dinner table

Sharing my latest written story with you.Enjoy.: reformatted story: The
Groopman dinner table
The Groopman Dinner table
by: Cynthia Groopman

When we think of families gathered around a dinner table, we think of splendid
table cloths, silverware that is truly shiny and crystal that is truly
beautiful adorning each place setting. We also think of a special  occasion a
birthday a holiday or a religious event. However in the Groopman household as
far back as I can remember dinnertime was happy time and gathered at the dinner
table we would just be a family who cared, who shared, who learned wisdom, who
spoke our minds and who were comforted and reassured. There were three
generations at our dinner table, grandmother Rose, 60 years older than I was,
mom who was 35 years old than I was dad who was 38 years older than I was and
of course, dear twin brother Jay of blessed memory. We would have our assigned
seat which was a force of habit. We had dinner after six P.M. every night when
dad Abraham came home from work.

The table was set usually about 5:30 P.M. This table was the console table that
once had boards that were able to be put into the table to make it longer which
we used when there were guests. Setting the table was j sheer joy especially
for me as a child because the routine ushered something special being together.
I can see with my mind's eye now mom and grandmother Rose in their beautiful
flowered aprons in our kitchen fixing the meal. I had braids and would rush
back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room table with a smile and with
such energy and enthusiasm making sure that the table was set with all of the
utensils. We had a plastic table cloth, stainless steel forks and spoons and
knives and of course dishes which were glass. They were not fancy or rich
looking but were made to eat which was prepared with love and tender loving
care and with joy.

I could hardly wait till dad would put the key into the door and I would run
over to him grab his knees as a tiny child but as an older child, run into his
arms and give him the sunshine hug. Ah, to smell the rich aroma of the food
being dished out, to sit with loved ones, to see smiles, to see joyful eating
and to share were the highlights of my youth. Families who eat together stick
together, learn and are really wonderful and well adjusted.

Those days ended when Jay went to medical school in 1970 and grandmother Rose
went into a nursing home. I had different hours as a teacher and a graduate
school student at night. When I think to those days I sigh and smile and have a
tear of longing and of yearning in my eye. The table is still here, and so are
the chairs. The loved ones are at the table in heaven with God. Now the table
is used for my Braille, my work preparation, my eating alone and for the past
26 weeks for meetings that have been held here with rebuilders of my life as a
result of Jay's passing. On May 21 after 6:30 P.M. the once beautiful dinner
table area and the seats that were once occupied by loving happy people became
occupied by police, EMS and others who had gathered into my apartment after
that tragedy had befallen me.
Even the table had a frownful look to it. I even heard the chairs cry.

Ah, memories sustain me as I write this story after 26 weeks of starting a new
life. We move forward but cherish the best and the memories of the past as our
frosting on our cakes of life. Dinner time thus was a blessing to me with my
dear ones and they made my youth teen years and young adulthood sweet, loving
and made a difference in my life. At my table now is God's presence and those
whom I love spiritually now who sit at God's table in Heaven.