[guide.chat] Forwarded Email: TALKING CASH MACHINE

  • From: "Judith Appleton" <judith.appleton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:29:21 +0100

Subject: TALKING CASH MACHINE

Today I was at a meeting with people from Greater Manchester
Integrated Transport Authority and, during the meeting, the
subject of talking cash
 was raised.   I was surprised to
learn that there is a talking cash machine in Manchester's
Piccadilly Railway Station.

I had lunch with one of the Greater Manchester Transport staff,
following which he took me to examine the cash machine.
Unfortunately, I did not have any of my cards with me, as I was
not expecting to need them, so I was unable to test the machine.

It has a socket for earphones, and many of the controls are
marked with raised symbols, and there is also Braille where you
put your card in, where you get your advice note, and where your
money comes out.

The machine is for Barclay's Bank, but I would imagine that it
can be used for any bank, under their Link system.

I was even more surprised to learn that the machine has been in
situ for about five years, and there are also other talking cash
machines dotted around.   I had only ever heard of one in the UK,
and that was in Scotland.

I wonder why this has not been publicised, or have I been asleep?

Cheers.

PETER WILKINS