[guide.chat] Forwarded Email: DLA Campaign Victory

  • From: "Margaret Davy" <margaret.davy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:42:47 -0000

 Message-----

Hope this answers some questions
Maggie
From: Mailbox, Campaign - Email Address: Campaign@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 19/03/2009 17:29
Sent To:  - Email Address:
Subject: DLA Campaign Victory

Dear Campaign Supporter

Fantastic News! - DLA Victory

I am delighted to be able tell you that together we have won our DLA
Campaign.  From 1st April 2011 people with severe visual impairment will
be able to claim the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living
Allowance.

On the 17th March at the Report Stage of the Welfare Reform Bill,
Jonathan Shaw MP, Minister for Disabled People, announced that the
Government will make the changes for which we have been campaigning.  It
didn't even need to go to a vote!

Every MP who spoke supported the campaign, every MP talked about how
effective the campaign had been and how much difference your letters,
emails and phone calls had made to their understanding of and support
for this issue.  MPs commented on how many people attended the Lobbies
of Parliament, how many of them and their colleagues had signed up to
the DLA Early Day Motions and they shared constituents' experiences.

As you know, when we started campaigning the Government and Opposition
Parties didn't see this as an issue they even needed to consider.  Now,
by campaigning together and through sheer determination and hard work we
have made history, we have made a difference to the lives of thousands
of blind people. This is an outstanding achievement.

The announcement has only just been made so exact details are still not
finalised.

What Do We Know?
We have some basic information and expect to have more details on the
changes and how they will be introduced in the next few weeks.  As more
information becomes available we'll be in touch.

What Will RNIB Be Doing Now?
*       We will be working to ensure that everyone who is eligible to
receive the higher rate mobility component is aware of the change.
*       We will be working with Officials and Ministers towards
implementation, ensuring that the Government develops the regulations
covering this change.
*       We will continue to work on issues affecting people with severe
visual impairment who receive Attendance Allowance.
*       We will also monitor the impact of the new eligibility criteria
over time.

Who will be eligible?
We know that the vast majority of people with sight loss experience
varying levels of mobility difficulties.

Currently the higher rate mobility component of DLA is targeted at those
with most severe physical, mental health and learning difficulties.
Similarly, when the Government extends the higher rate to people with
sight loss, it will be focused on those with the most severe visual
impairment.

Our understanding is that the basis on which eligibility will be decided
will be a combination of visual acuity and field of vision.  We believe
that DWP are looking to include the following people:

*       People with no light perception
*       People with only light perception
*       People who can only see hand movement in front of their face
*       People who have 3/60 visual acuity (can see only the top line of
an eye test chart from 3 metres away) and who also have a highly
restricted field of vision.

We are not able to give definitive answers on whether an individual may
or may not be eligible.  We are concerned that in advising people at
this very early stage we don't give people incorrect information about
the likelihood of them being eligible.  We do not wish to discourage
someone from claiming in the future when they may in fact be eligible.

When will the change happen?
People with severe visual impairment will be able to claim the higher
rate mobility component of DLA from 1st April 2011

How will the new system work?
DWP Officials are still working on the finer details of how the current
system would incorporate the changes.

We understand that the application process for claiming the higher rate
would combine self-assessment questions and proof of visual acuity &
field of vision.

New Claimants
Certification forms (CVIs) issued to newly certified blind people would
provide the information required about visual acuity and field of
vision.

Existing Lower Rate Claimants - including people over 65 receiving DLA
People with severe visual impairment currently in receipt of the lower
rate and wishing to claim the higher rate would need to complete
self-assessment questions and provide evidence of their visual acuity
and field of vision.  It is likely that this information could be
provided by high street Optometrists, the details of this are being
worked out by DWP.

Once again, we have only been able to achieve this by campaigning
together.  Thank you.

If you have any queries please do contact the Campaigns Team on 020 7391
2123 or campaigns@xxxxxxxxxxx

Yours faithfully
Helen Dearman
Campaigns Officer