[guide.chat] Disabled man in wheelchair news

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 13:10:34 +0100

Littleport man Adam King finishes five-day half marathon.
Adam King (centre) completes wheelchair half marathon in Littleport,
Cambridgeshire Adam King completed the half marathon around his home village
A Cambridgeshire man with a severe form of cerebral palsy has finished a
five-day half marathon to raise money for a new computer.
Adam King, 37, who cannot walk or talk, finished the event at Littleport Sports
Centre on Sunday after steering his electric wheelchair around the village.
He has so far raised more than £1,200 towards a new computer that will help him
communicate through eye movement.
Claire Pendle, from the sports centre, said Mr King was a "remarkable man".
"He needs a computer and he's doing as much as he can to raise money for it on
his own," she said.
"He's not expecting to just be handed a computer or get it through any
grants."'Carry on regardless'
Mr King, who was inspired by the London Marathon, started his half marathon on
Wednesday.
He drove his wheelchair on a route from his home on Limes Close around the
nearby church and back again, five times a day.
The route was mapped out by the sports centre so it could be completed over
five days.
"He sent us an email a few days ago after the windy weather saying that the
county show and the Suffolk Show had been cancelled because of the wind and
rain, but he said he was going to carry on regardless," said Ms Pendle.
Mr King has athetoid cerebral palsy, meaning he has trouble eating, drinking
and controlling his movements.
He currently communicates using a word board, but is looking to buy a £16,000
system that will allow him to talk to others through eye movement and via the
internet.
On his , Mr King said: "I am [a] very intelligent young man. I have a computer
system which I think of as another part of me.
"My computer and my electric wheelchair are really important to me. They are my
legs and my way to communicate with outside world and get around."