[groupi] Re: GPS info (Urgent!)

  • From: Beau <treppb01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: groupi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:03:39 +0800

Okay,

Baud etc should be variable, etc you can pick some defaults but they should be set in the program and possibly stored in a config file.

I believe the other GPS units they use have no comm interface, so they will manually enter the info.

Cheers

Lorin Tauss wrote:

Beau,

It does matter, since not all GPS units use the same settings for for baud rate, data bits, parity, stop bits and handshake. Although the NMEA 0183 standard is common, it is by no means the only standard that GPS units use.

Since they have both differential (big, expensive "professional" type units) and handheld ("consumer grade" units), it is possible that they use more than one standard.

I will send them an email tonight, just to be sure.

Cheers,

Lorin

PS. I will upload my first attempt at serial comms in C# in a minute..... getting there, but not finished yet! If i've done anything thats a bit weird/not good in C# feel free to point it out!!

On Tue 25/08/09 21:28 , Beau <treppb01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Howdy .

    I was fairly sure that GPS was a kinda standard, eg it shouldn't
    matter
    on the model.

    Cheers,
    Beau

    Lorin Tauss wrote:
    > Hi Beau and all,
    >
    > I've been looking at the serial comms issue, looking promising.
    Just