[greenbuild] Re: Something exciting on the political/ecological front

  • From: "Arthur J. Weaver" <art@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:32:59 -0400

Todd Rose wrote:
> Thought you all might be interested to know about this, if you don't
> already.  It sounds to me like something well worth supporting.
>
> The Apollo Project, an Energy/Jobs Program
>
> by Bracken Hendricks
>
> to achieve energy independence. Gephardt predicts that "alternative
> energy has the potential to be America's largest growth market and job
> producer in the next ten years."
>
> The Apollo Alliance--a broad coalition including labor unions, green
> groups, consumer advocates and socially responsible businesses--is now
> forming ( www.apolloalliance.org <http://www.apolloalliance.org/> ) and
> will be unveiled at a major conference in June. By building on the
> example of past national challenges, the Apollo project reminds us that
> the public is ready for Democrats to be Democrats again, facing tough
> problems and believing again in the power of collective action.
> Americans are ready to pull together and get to work for the good of the
> economy, the nation and the planet.

Todd & Greenbuilders~ While I agree that the idea of the Apollo Alliance
is exciting, it is still just talk, and for all practical purposes will
remain so for as long as Bush and his Republican Guard retain political
power.

I truly believe that change must begin as decisions by *individuals* to
change their own lives.  Then, they become the examples that give others
the courage and inspiration to do the same.  Eventually, the politicians
must acknowledge and respond to the collective will (one hopes).

Moreover, there has never been a better time than NOW to bring
sustainable energy into your lives.  NY state (through NYSERDA + tax
credits) will pay for more than 1/2 of a new residential solar or wind
installation.  And, low interest rate loans are available for financing
such projects.  Remarkably, NY is 2nd only to CA in providing public
financing incentives to renewable energy purchasers!

Or, without getting into large investments, please remember that "small
is beautiful" (e.f.schumacher) and consider bringing just one or two
solar panels into your life to run some lighting, stereo, or other small
appliances (needn't be DC either... a small, efficient inverter allows
you to run AC stuff easily).  Just imagine the effect of every person
having just one 100W solar module would have!  A small, practical system
with quality components might have two 100W modules, charge controller,
deep-cycle battery, DC safety switch, and a fused DC-to-AC inverter.
All these components can be had for around $2000, and, except for the
battery, should last a very long time.

peace ~art
--
Arthur J. Weaver
(607) 589-4537

"We must be the change we wish to see..." ~ m.k.gandhi