[greenbuild] Re: Rammed earth and sun-dried bricks

  • From: Sasha Fassett <sfassett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 17:41:16 -0400 (EDT)

>Hi;
>       Has anyone tried making rammed earth or sun-dried bricks out of our
>clay
>soil?  I'd like to give it a try but thought I'd check to see if anyone
>else has done it and has developed a procedure for it.
>       Thanks.
>Jay Jacobson

Hi folks.  Paul from Binghamton here. I know of someone in East Meredith
(near Oneonta) who is building a straw bale house on speculation and he's
attached an addition made out of cob. He literally used a tractor to mix
the clay, soil, etc. in the driveway. The house is beautiful. If you'd like
more info. send me a   message!

I'm enjoying the list dialogue and will likely become more active in the
near future as I am beginning the design phase of a sustainable home
project to be started next spring. I'm leaning toward straw bale w/solar
(passive and active).

Thanks for keeping this going!

Paul Manuszewski